Mental illness doesn’t go away in bad economic times—neither should funding for mental health care.
- One veteran dies by suicide approximately every 80 min.
- Six in ten adults who need mental health services don’t get treatment.
- Three-quarters of serious mental illness occurs by age 24. Screening and early intervention improves lives and helps families.
- People living with mental illness are overrepresented in jails and prisons. End the criminalization of mental illness.
- Mental health treatment works, but many aren’t getting care they need. Access is part of the solution. Covering mental health saves lives and saves families money.
- Mental health services need to be there when people need them. It’s an investment in our families and our communities.
- Over 50% of students with a mental disorder over 14 drop out of school. Early intervention can save lives.
Throughout the month of July, we encourage you to learn more about mental health issues and what you can do. If you would like to get more involved in activities this month, contact Center staff member, Antonia Correa, at (402) 559-3670 or via email at: email@example.com.
Talk about it. Leave us a comment, Facebook us, or Tweet us @UNMCCRHD using the hashtag: #MinorityMentalHealth and #vote4mentalhealth.
Source: National Alliance on Mental Illness, www.nami.org.